Monday, May 05, 2008

Think they have a support group for this?

Hi my name is Allison and I have a problem.

I am a book slut.

There, I said it. I can't go into a bookstore and just leave those books alone. They have to come home with me. Sometimes 3 or 4 at a time even! It's shameful. Especially when I think about how many are already waiting for me at home. Neglectfully unread. Pining away on their dusty shelves. Perfectly good books.

I just can't help myself, you know? And Borders is no help with their book club member discounts and Buy 1 Get 1 sales. Every corner of that store calls to me, "Paperback Favorites!" and "Hardcover Classics!", "Bestsellers!" and "Oprah's Book Club!". How can I resist those shiny covers lined up for my perusal. Offering themselves up to my waiting hands. They're just asking for it. Who am I to say no?

And don't even get me started on those used book stores. Each sad, worn, dog-eared paperback like a puppy in the pound. You know what happens to the ones you don't buy? I don't even want to think about where they end up. Probably on some poor 25 cent table at a church bazaar. Nestled right in between dirty kids toys and crochet Christmas ornaments. Unspeakable. I know I can't save every one of them, but I'll be damned if I don't try.

So call me what you will, but I love all my little guys, from "And Then There Were None" to "Wuthering Heights" and every one in between. And if loving them is wrong, I don't want to be write.


To illustrate the magnitude of my problem, I have photographed every place in my house I have stuffed books. Keep in mind that 1. I have moved home recently so most of them are packed in boxes, and 2. None of these belong to my mom.










No comments: