Monday, May 05, 2008

Vegetarian Propaganda

While on my previous photo scavenger hunt for the piles of books in my house, I came across a book from my childhood that I hadn't opened for years. It's called A Child's First Book of Poems and I have such good memories of reading it with my parents as a kid. I have, in fact, on numerous recent occasions made reference to the best poem in this book about a puffin who is the shape of a muffin. Usually people look at me strange and go "who writes poetry about puffins?" Florence Page Jaques, that's who. So, for all of you doubters out there, the puffin poem does exist and I'm not just crazy. And it's still my favorite poem. So enjoy.

There Was Once a Puffin
Florence Page Jaques

Oh, there once was a Puffin
Just the shape of a muffin,
And he lived on an island
In the
bright
blue sea!

He ate little fishes,
That were most delicious,
And he had them for supper
And he
had
them
for tea.

But this poor little Puffin,
He couldn't play nothin',
For he hadn't anybody
To
play
with
at all.

So he sat on his island,
And he cried for awhile, and
He felt very lonely,
And he
felt
very small.

Then along came the fishes,
And they said, "If you wishes,
You can have us for playmates,
Instead
of
for
tea!"

So they now play together,
In all sorts of weather,
And the puffin eats pancakes,
Like you
and
like
me.


And for those of you who'd rather watch your poetry, here's a computer animation of the poem I found on YouTube - There Once Was a Puffin.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

DUDE, i posted a commnet and id dint show up. this is bs

Anonymous said...

ps. dont get excited that you have a new blog stalker, that was me

Anonymous said...

me=janet