Thursday, January 26, 2006

songs for happy

a couple posts ago i listed some of the best wallowing, feed-your-depression music. now i need to counter that with some of my favorite happy music. most are on this list because they remind me of something from my life that was obviously a good time. therefore, they may not be universally recognized as songs to make you feel better, but they always work for me, and many are just part of a good soundtrack for an already good mood.


"Unwritten" or "These Words" by Natasha Bedingfield - she's just fun, makes you want to skip.

"All You Need is Love" by The Beatles - "Love, love, love. Love, love, love", it really is all you need. pass it on.

"Everything is Alright" by Motion City Soundtrack - i get to rock out, and it reminds me of The Zoo.

"All Right Now" by Free - where's my car? cause i need to drive with All the windows down Right Now.

"Always Love" by Nada Surf - a good reminder when you're stewing about something.

"Sittin on the Dock of the Bay" by Otis Redding - the "i'm just chillin'" and really content with it song.

"Dancin' in the Moonlight" by Harvest King - clap your hands dammit! makes me wanna dance.

"Maneater" by Hall and Oates - ok, this one just makes me laugh, which makes me happy. It also reminds me that I used to sing it "Oh, oh here she comes, watch out boys she'll chew you up. Oh, oh here she comes, she's a MAD GATOR." Hey, it still makes sense at least.

"Geek in the Pink" by Jason Mraz - ok, Mraz in general just makes me happy and i love geeks and pink. Also "Curbside Prophet" and "Life is Wonderful"

"Tiny Dancer" by Elton John - one of the best. plus there's talk of dance and that section with the strings.

"Don't Leave Me This Way" by Thelma Houston - disco baby. infectious.

"My Sharona" by The Knack - 4 words: Janet. Reno. Dance. Party. "I said no moshing!!" plus it reminds me of freshman year and alicia.

"Build Me Up Buttercup" by The Foundations - it just makes me happy. and there was that time i tried to download it to becky's computer, but i was searching for "Fill Me Up Butter Cup". yea, i'm an idiot.

"Chariot" by Gavin Degraw - because he's my boyfriend and it reminds me of senior year term 2 when i made everyone listen to his cd all the time.

"Everybody's Got Their Something" by Nikka Costa - makes me feel good about myself and it's got a great sound. "I know that there's a time for every star to shine."

"Middle of Nowhere" by Hot Hot Heat - Los Angeles summer 2005 baby.

and while I'm at it...

"Beverly Hills" by Weezer - reminds me of my drive to work every day this past summer right through the 90210.
and
"California by Phantom Planet - sang this song for the 2 months before i left and then all the way to cali.

"Two of Of Us" by Aimee Mann - cross country drive or any car ride in the Lumina. always a good time.

"Thank You (Furlettinme Be Mice Elf Agin)" by Sly and the Family Stone - everything about this song rocks. just look at the title. then there's the killer funk sound that makes you want to put on a sweet leisure suit and walk down the street with a boom box.

"Girls Just Want to Have Fun" by Cyndi Lauper - CLR memories of my favorite girls. and also to go along with that - "Boom Boom Boom Boom" by Venga Boys, "Like a Prayer" by Madonna and "Send Me On My Way" by Rusted Root. any song associated with my girls is a happy one. =)

"Pass That Dutch" by Missy Elliot - best song to walk to and reminds me of driving in the Mustang with my roommates on a saturday night to go out dancing. hoo de hoooooo!

"Clarity" by John Mayer - term 3 senior year. and the time caryn a. and i sang it on the way to Harris Hill - her only singing the oo oo oooo part.

"Land Down Under" by Men at Work - you know you want to skip to this song. great use of the flute. plus it's Australia and i miss it.

"Stop! The Love You Save May Be Your Own" by Jackson 5 - who can resist peppy, cute, little MJ instead of creepy old child molester? plus, it reminds me of teaching at the Ja'Duke dance workshop with Kim and doing the crab walk while she did her little mermaid impression.

"Amsterdam" by Guster - i love guster! just an infectious sound that makes you want to bounce. and then there are the memories of the 2 guster concerts and rocking out to it when i worked at bath and body works.

"Weapon of Choice" by Fatboy Slim - "walk without rhythm and it won't attract the world" alicia and i freshman year. plus the video is a dancing Christopher Walken.

"Closing Time" by Semisonic - still the greatest end of the night anthem. plus, officer road trip to NYC.


other happy songs: "Somewhere Over the Rainbow/Wonderful World" by Israel Kamakawiwo'ole, "Doo Wop (That Thing)" by Lauren Hill, extraordinary machine by fiona apple, "Such Great Heights" by The Postal Service, "Midnight Train" by Journey (or "Separate Ways" cause the awesome 80s synthesizer), "Signed, Sealed, Delivered" by Stevie Wonder, "I Want Candy" by Bow Wow Wow, "Instant Pleasure" by Rufus Wainwright, "Did You Ever Look So Nice" by The Samples, "You Can Call Me Al" by Paul Simon, "A Thousand Beautiful Things" by Annie Lennox, "American Baby" by Dave Matthews Band, "Joy to the World" by Three Dog Night, "Melissa" by The Allman Brothers, "3x5" by John Mayer

ok, so the list goes on and on because I just love sharing music. but i'll stop now.


be happy. =)
be sad. =(
be yourself. s(:~P <------ me

No comments: